Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Getting To Know... Who's A Clever Girl?


With the Boutique Wedding Market rapidly approaching we at Portobello Bride wanted to help you get to know the fabulous people who will be a part of the event! We spent some time with Lisa Atkinson, the delightful and talented Photographer behind Who's a Clever Girl? to talk weddings, cocktails, gifts and more..

What’s your favourite part of your job? 
There’s so much that I love, but if I had to pick one thing, I get to meet some great couples, and the bond and fun we have on that one day is fantastic.  It’s a bit clichéd but I really do feel it’s an honour to work so closely with a couple on a day that means so much to them, so I try to make it a choice that they don’t regret.  I hear a lot of stories about obnoxious photographers who ruin the day, and I never want to fall into that category. 

I also love when they get to see the final results of my work, and the memories I have captured for them.


What are you reading at the moment? 
Decoded by Jay-Z.  I’m not really a rap fan, but I used to work in the music industry, and I’ve always had a fascination for music in all its forms.   This is a really insightful book not just about rap music and the industry, but also about rising up from your circumstances, making a name for yourself, and business in general.

What are you lusting after at the moment?
A full night’s sleep! {I have a 3 month old daughter}

Top three songs on your play list?
I’m going through an ‘albums’ phase at the moment.  These three are all oldies but goodies!
Tears for Fears – Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits)
Chicane – Far From the Maddening Crowds
Faithless – Saturday 3am


What is your favourite moment during a wedding?
Again, so many… Photographically some of the best candid shots happen straight after the ceremony when the bride and groom are being congratulated by their family and friends.  The ‘hard part’ is over and everyone is relaxed, happy, and on a real high.
On a non-photographic level, I actually really love the speeches.  As not much of a public speaker myself, I am always amazed how many funny, touching, witty, emotional speeches I hear.  It’s a fine art, and I am in awe of a great speech.


Who inspires you?
Fortunately I don’t have to look too far out of my circle of girlfriends to be inspired.  I recently celebrated a ‘milestone’ birthday {not telling which one!} with a girl’s lunch at my favourite restaurant, Donovan’s in St Kilda. As a looked around the table I saw a dozen gorgeous, talented, funny babes, many with their own successful businesses, and they inspire me to be worthy of their company as a friend, in a creative sense, as a wife & mum, and also as a businesswoman.

Favourite Cocktail?
Passionfruit margarita.  I made one just last night.

What does it take to impress you?
A lot, and at the same time not much.  Weird huh?

What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?
It was in 2002, from my former boss as I was finishing up my job to pursue my passion for photography  “Don’t waste this opportunity”… I never want to have to go back to 9-5, so I think of that every day.

Favourite way to spend a Sunday?
Relaxing and having family time, especially if I’ve done a big wedding the day before.  Going to South Melbourne market in the morning with my hubby Matt, and daughters Finlay and Lila for breakfast at Café Panette, and doing our weekly fruit, veg, meat and deli shop.  Everyone having a little nap when we get home, then heading across to our local playground in the afternoon.  Take away for dinner, a passionfruit margarita, and an early night.  Bliss!

Black Tie or Casual?
Somewhere in the middle… “Comfortably glam”!

Your suggestion for a new name for ‘Hens party’. 
“The Last Hurrah”

Your favourite hostess gift to give?
Grown up lolly bags.

What’s the best gift you have ever received?
My engagement ring.  It was a huge surprise and it was {and still is} beautiful.

Three words that describe you best.
A juggling act.


Thanks Lisa for taking the time to let us all get to know you a little better!

You can find out more about Lisa and check out her work through the following links:
Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Don't forget that tickets for the Melbourne Boutique Wedding Market are now on sale! Buy yours today!

No comments:

Post a Comment