Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting To Know... A Little Birdie Design Studio


What’s your favourite part of your job? 
There are so many things that I love about my job! My clients are amazing, I love hearing their stories and being given the opportunity to create something extra special for their big day gives me such a buzz! I am also very proud to be an eco-friendly business, working towards a cleaner, greener future for us all!

What are you reading at the moment? 
I always have a few books on the go – at the moment it’s Blackout by Connie Willis, Journey of Souls by Michael Newton and the latest issues of Peppermint & G magazine.

What are you lusting after at the moment?
 An easier question would be what am I NOT lusting after! Am re-decorating my studio at the moment so homewares and furniture are high on my list: fabric from Ink & Spindle and Cloth; circle shelf from Bride & Wolfe; and a recycled t-shirt rug from Carpets for Communities.

Top three songs on your play list? 
At the moment it’s…Kids - Sleigh Bells
Bright Lights Bigger City – Cee Lo Green 
The Sea is Rising – Bliss n Esso

What is your favourite moment during a wedding? 
I think it’s a toss up between the bride’s entrance (and the groom’s reaction!) and the kiss. But I also really love all the unexpected moments that you just can’t plan, like the Bride who gets the hiccups & giggles, or the rainbow that magically appears behind the couple at the end of the ceremony. Little things like that make me smile!

Who inspires you? 
Where do I start?! There are so many! Um, other eco-minded creative businesses; such as Sukie, QueenB and Smock, my clients, locations/venues, artists such as Charley Harper, typographers, photographers (big fan of Jonas Peterson), and Mother Nature of course!

Favourite Cocktail? 
Anything with vodka in it is fine by me!

What does it take to impress you? 
Innovation/thinking outside the box, courage, compassion and a sense of humour!

What is the best piece of advice you were ever given? 
Never assume anything!

Favourite way to spend a Sunday?
 When the weather is nice I like to potter around in the garden for a while and then kick back with a good book.

Black Tie or Casual? 
Casual. It’s fun to dress up on occasions but if I could live in jeans and a t-shirt I probably would!

Your suggestion for a new name for ‘Hens party’ 
Why on earth is it called a Hens party anyway? Honestly I have no idea!

Your favourite hostess gift to give? 
It depends on the hostess, but I do really like to give flowers from our garden (usually roses – we have beautiful red roses in our front yard that smell amazing!).

What’s the best gift you have ever received? 
That’s a REALLY tough one! I think it would have to be my cat Kinobe, she was an ‘unofficial’ gift from my partner for my 30th birthday. She’s a real little treasure!

Three words that describe you best. 
Creative, passionate, greenie!

Thanks so much for sharing with us today Melissa. We are very much looking forward to having you at the Portobello Bride Boutique Wedding Market in Melbourne on March 26 and 27!

To find our even more about Melissa and see her work visit:
Website | Twitter | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment