Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Getting to Know... Siobhan Donoghue Design


What’s your favourite part of your job?
I enjoy all phases for the job. If I had to choose one, it would be the creative process of designing the maps and invitations. Getting to know the couple and the location of their wedding is always so interesting

What are you reading at the moment?
Funnily I have three books on the go along with the stack of food and design magazines; Ken Follett’s latest book,  Fall of Giants,  David Sedaris’ Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk and Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon.

What are you lusting after at the moment?
Oh, it would have to be the art work of  Mary Tonkin or James Powditch. They are both very different but love both.

Top three songs on your play list?
Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody, Liz Stringer- anything she sings, and a bit of fun with The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain’s Je T’aime…Moi Non Plus; a cover of Serge Gainsbourg’s song sung with Jane Birkin.

What is your favourite moment during a wedding?
When the bride first walks in.

Who inspires you?
My mother without a doubt. Creative people with a passion for what they do inspire me. I was recently in Willunga SA and met with various globe trotting wine makers including Alpha Box & Dice and  Samuel's Gorge  and came back all revved up with ideas. I use to live in Burgundy France so wine is very close to my heart. When creativity, good design and environmental sensitivity are combined I am very inspired!

Favourite Cocktail?
Gin and Tonic. Last year I was introduced to Hendrick’s Gin while eating at Cutler and Co. I’ve been proselytising about it ever since. Again, as above, they are passionate about their art.

What does it take to impress you? 

Creativity, perseverance and thoughtfulness.

What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?
Try everything once.

Favourite way to spend a Sunday
Breakfast with the paper

Black Tie or Casual?
Causal, but with occasional dress up. I like to put heels on every once in a while.

Your suggestion for a new name for ‘Hens party’
Hmmm, not sure about that one. The entire experience is usually best forgotten.

Your favourite hostess gift to give?
Flowers – an elegant bouquet of country flowers. Although having said that I’m a big fan of Nicolai Bergman’s work.

What’s the best gift you have ever received?
My two Burmese cats when I turned eight. I am cat crazy and they were the best companions growing up.

Three words that describe you best.
Creative, quirky and food obsessed traveller

Thanks so much for sharing with us today Siobhan. We are very much looking forward to having you at the Portobello Bride Boutique Wedding Market in Melbourne on March 26 and 27!

To find our even more about Siobhan and to see her work visit her Website

1 comment:

  1. Truly inspiring artist and a nice person with a passion for her job. Very genuine interview and amazing work.

    ReplyDelete